Building

Posts in this category include buildings

Wardija – St.Simon Chapel (Ref: pfm140180)

Posted in All Images, Building, Malta, Malta - North, Portfolio, Wide Format, Wider Format

Wardija – St.Simon Chapel (Ref: pfm140180)

A chapel in the middle of nowhere. St. Simon Chapel in Wardija was built by Grandmaster Perellos, it was deconsecrated in 1616. After being rebuilt, the new chapel was blessed by Canon Dun Felic Cutajar on 22 April 1868. This small but beautiful neo-gothic chapel stands beside Qannotta castle and dominates the valley. Sadly it is deteriorating rapidly and the grounds are overgrown with huge weeds. It is said that its titular which was painted by Silvio Micallef, represented St Simon holding a large Saw. No one seems to know where this painting ended up. Source:...

Read More

Senglea – Il-Gardjola Gardens (Ref: pfm130179)

Posted in All Images, Building, Malta, Malta - Center, Night, Portfolio, Sea, Wide Format

Senglea – Il-Gardjola Gardens (Ref: pfm130179)

Il-Gardjola Gardens in Senglea with a view of Valletta in the background. The gardens were planned by Grandmaster De La Sengle in 1551 with a lovely guard tower built on the tip of the bastions. The guard tower, ‘Il-gardjola’, has various symbols sculpted on in such as an eye, an ear and the crane bird, representing guardianship and observance protecting the Maltese shores. The eye on the tower is a popular icon representing Malta, featured in many brochures about the Island. The gardens have palm trees and provide a spot to relax under the shade while enjoying the view. The Gardjola was...

Read More

Fiddien – Wayside Chapel (Ref: pfm130177)

Posted in All Images, Building, Malta, Malta - Center, Portfolio, Wide Format

Fiddien – Wayside Chapel (Ref: pfm130177)

A lonely chapel at ‘Tas-Salib’, limits of Fiddien. The original small church dedicated to ‘The Nativity Of Our Lady’ was built in the area in 1550 which remained closed for many years. The present chapel was re-built on the same site in 1615 by Gregorio Xerri and his wife. These days prayer meetings are held in the chapel.   Source: http://allaboutmalta.blogspot.com/2011/01/wayside-chapels-6-nativity-of-our-lady.html       Location Map for Chapel in Fiddien: View Chapel of The Nativity Of Our Lady at Fiddien in a larger...

Read More

Birgu – Fort St.Angelo (Ref: pfm140175)

Posted in All Images, Building, Malta, Malta - South, Night, Portfolio, Wide Format, Wider Format

Birgu – Fort St.Angelo (Ref: pfm140175)

A view of Fort St.Angelo and Birgu (Vittoriosa) from Senglea at night. Fort St. Angelo is the jewel in the crown of The Maltese Islands’ military heritage. According to legend, the fort stands on the site of a fortified Roman settlement. When the Knights arrived on the Island in 1530, the Fort became the seat of the Grand Master of the Order. It was to play a heroic role in the Great Siege of 1565, when, against all odds, it managed to repel a formidable Saracen armada. The epic resistance of the Knights during the three-month siege gave the Fort its legendary status. In the 19th century,...

Read More

Valletta – St.Elmo’s Bridge (Ref: pfm120172)

Posted in All Images, Building, Malta, Malta - Center, Portfolio, Sea, Wide Format, Wider Format

Valletta – St.Elmo’s Bridge (Ref: pfm120172)

  A glorious sunny wintry day at St.Elmo’s breakwater bridge in Valletta with a number of canoeing enthusiasts making the best of the lovely weather. The three cities may be seen in the background.   Location Map:   View Breakwater Bridge – Valletta in a larger...

Read More

Madliena Tower – (Ref: pfm130170)

Posted in All Images, Building, Malta, Malta - Center, Portfolio, Wide Format, Wider Format

Madliena Tower  – (Ref: pfm130170)

  The sun setting behind Madliena Tower limits of Pembroke.   From the Knight’s era to the British military era. The Madliena Tower is one of several commissioned by Grand Master De Redin in 1658 to safeguard the Maltese coast. This particular tower was one of a line of coastal towers, each built within sight of its adjacent towers so as to facilitate and speed-up communication. Apart from serving as watchtowers, the coastal towers also acted as signal posts: an efficient early-warning system which enabled the town garrisns to be notified speedily if an enemy attack was...

Read More