Birgu – Fort St.Angelo (Ref: pfm140175)

Posted in All Images, Building, Malta, Malta - South, Night, Portfolio, Wide Format, Wider Format

Birgu - Fort St.Angelo

A view of Fort St.Angelo and Birgu (Vittoriosa) from Senglea at night.

Fort St. Angelo is the jewel in the crown of The Maltese Islands’ military heritage. According to legend, the fort stands on the site of a fortified Roman settlement.

When the Knights arrived on the Island in 1530, the Fort became the seat of the Grand Master of the Order. It was to play a heroic role in the Great Siege of 1565, when, against all odds, it managed to repel a formidable Saracen armada. The epic resistance of the Knights during the three-month siege gave the Fort its legendary status.

In the 19th century, the British took over the Fort and in 1912 it was officially listed as a ship, first as HMS Egmont and then in1933 it was renamed HMS St. Angelo.

More recently, the Government granted the Order of the Knights of St. John the upper part of the fort, comprising the magisterial palace and St. Anne’s Chapel.



Location Map for Fort St.Angelo:

View Fort St.Angelo – Birgu in a larger map

Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home/content/23/7834423/html/maltapanorama/wp-content/plugins/intuitive-navigation/functions.php on line 153

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *