Colorful display of last remaining light during dusk as seen from Fort Ricasoli in Kalkara.
“The Ricasoli Fortification was built by the Knights during the period 1670-1693 as part of the defensive system to protect Grand Harbour. It was erected by Nicholas Cottoner, the grand master from (1663-1680), designed by Antonio Maurizio Valperga and named after Giovanni Francesco Ricasoli, who provided much of the finance. It continued as a military installation throughout British Rule, but suffered extensive damage during the siege of Malta in World War II. The internal buildings, including the Governor’s House, have been lost. The fort and its surroundings have been featured a number of times in films such as ‘Gladiator’ and ‘Troy’”
View Fort Ricasoli – Kalkara in a larger map